keane
No Comments

palazzo balduini

images of daily life in barga

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

On either side of the piazza Garibaldi there are two passageways which lead down towards the Via della Fontana. Facing onto the piazza itself is one of the most beautiful of all the buildings in the historic town centre, the Palazzo Balduini, built by the Barghigiano, Balduino Balduini in the second half of the 16th Century.

Balduini was the chief physician for Cardinal Del Monte who later became Pope Julius III, and who in 1554, nominated Balduini as Bishop of Aversa. It should be noted that this Balduini is not the same as the one mentioned elsewhere in this guide.

Unfortunately this beautiful palazzo was heavily bombed during the last war and only its outer walls remained standing, but the imprint of the Medici can still be seen in the stone Medici crest which is attached to the facade of the building. On the corner of the building there is a crest, also in stone, of Bishop Balduino.

Next to this palazzo is the property of the Sisters of the Order of St. Joseph (Giuseppine), who used to run a nursery school there (article with many images of the Nuns here) , and beyond this the Museum of Memory which grew out of the ruins of buildings destroyed during the last war when Barga was for many months on the front of the Gothic Line.

Next to these buildings is the Via della Rota, which first deviates via a flight of steps up to the piazza and church of the Santissima Crocifisso, and then connects to Via della Speranza.

The Via della Rota is so-named because there used to be a convent on this street, with a structure at the entrance which turned on a wheel where newborn infants were left, because the families was so poor they could not look after them, or because they were not acknowledged by the family.

 

Dalla prima metà del XIV secolo il castello di Barga rappresentava il più
antico avamposto settentrionale dello stato fi orentino. Tale stretto rapporto
con Firenze è ampiamente testimoniato dalla forte infl uenza che quest’ultima
esercitò sull’edilizia barghigiana. Accanto ad un impulso diretto attraverso il
quale la “capitale” si fece promotrice di pubblici cantieri, alla metà del XVI
secolo, si riscontra un forte interesse da parte dei privati che provvedettero
alla costruzione delle proprie dimore seguendo il gusto maturato a Firenze a
partire dalle esperienze quattrocentesche di Leon Battista Alberti. Così le più
importanti famiglie di Barga si dotarono di un’abitazione che richiamava,
nell’organizzazione degli spazi interni come nella disposizione delle facciate
esterne, i prestigiosi palazzi fi orentini.
A partire dal 1526 era cominciata l’opera di ammodernamento delle mura
cittadine e alla metà del secolo iniziarono i lavori dei primi palazzi di chiara
ispirazione fi orentina.
Primo fu il Palazzo Balduini, fedele ai moduli manieristi tanto da far pensare
a un diretto intervento di architetti da Firenze, caratterizzato da “fi nestre
inginocchiate” simili a quelle del fi orentino Palazzo Grifoni, realizzato
dall’Ammannati. Notevole è poi il Palazzo Pancrazi (oggi sede dell’Amministrazione
Comunale), che presenta, accanto a motivi tipici dell’edilizia
fi orentina, elementi della tradizione della Garfagnana, come il bugnato a
“punta di diamante” intorno a porte e fi nestre, riscontrabile anche a Castelnuovo
Garfagnana, Diecimo e Pescaglia. Il palazzo Angeli riporta lo
stemma gentilizio della famiglia Angeli e l’arme dei Medici segno dell’obbedienza
della famiglia ai dominatori.
La combinazione di tipologie edilizie cittadine con la trama viaria di un
borgo medievale rende unici nel loro genere questi palazzi, che hanno il
pregio di importare uno modello edilizio dall’esterno amalgamandolo con
una riproposizione in chiave “elegante” dei temi dell’architettura rustica
della Valle del Serchio.

 

Since the first half of the 14th century, Barga Castle has represented the oldest most northerly outpost of the Florentine. This close relationship with Florence is widely seen by the strong influence that the city exerted on Barghigiano buildings.

In addition to a direct drive through which the “capital” promoted public construction sites in the mid 16th century, it was met with considerable interest by private individuals who went ahead with building their own homes following the tastes that had matured in Florence beginning with the 15thcentury
experiences of Leon Battista Alberti.

This is how the most important Barga families acquired homes that recall the prestigious Florentine palaces in terms of the organisation of their interiors and the layout of the external facades.
Modernisation of the town walls got underway in 1526 and the building work of the first buildings of clear Florentine inspiration began halfway through the century.

Palazzo Balduini was the first, so loyal to the Mannerist modules to make you think that architects from Florence were directly involved, characterised by kneeling windows similar to those in the Florentine Palazzo Grifoni, designed by Ammannati.

Leave a Reply

Please Login to comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  Subscribe  
Notify of