keane
No Comments

san francesco

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

The institute’s establishment can be dated to the arrival of the preacher – Ercolano da Piegaro – in Barga between 1433 and 1434.

The convent was first erected upon the remains of the ancient medieval castle that dominated the landscape of Nebbiana, in the Colle di Mologno area. However, it was soon abandoned because, in turbulent times, the monks residing there found themselves to be completely unprotected from sieges mounted against the stronghold of Barga that towered above them.

The monks moved to Barga on 4 December 1471, following Pope Sixtus IV’s authorisation and – in part – thanks to the support of the local population, who worked to help erect the new convent.

The convent’s Church was consecrated in 1490 and is the result of the union of two buildings, the new one and the pre-existing chapel of Santa Maria delle Grazie (St. Mary of Grace), which gave rise to its bizarre L-shaped plan.

The Della Robbia terracottas, the table with the Assunzione della Madonna (the Assumption of the Virgin) and the statues of Saint Anthony and Saint Andrew all date back to the last three decades of the 15th century.

The decorations on the choir (1657), the acquisition of the organ and the wood altars in the Cappella della Madonna (Chapel of the Virgin Mary) are from the 17th century. The sandstone altar and baluster – in sandstone as well – that surround the choir and presbytery also date back to the 17th century.

The inner cloisters can be accessed directly from the church through the porta del cielo, while another cloister (outer) is
located in front of the building’s facade.

————————–

La fondazione dell’istituto risale alla venuta a Barga del predicatore Ercolano da Piegaro nell’inverno tra il 1433 e 1434.

Inizialmente la struttura sorgeva in località Nebbiana, nell’area del colle di Mologno, sui ruderi dell’antico castello medievale che dominava la zona.

Tale ubicazione fu ben presto abbandonata poiché, in tempi turbolenti, i frati si trovavano completamente privi di protezione dagli assedi portati alla soprastante rocca di Barga, dove, in seguito all’autorizzazione concessa da papa Sisto IV il 4 dicembre 1471, si trasferirono anche grazie alla collaborazione della popolazione locale che si impegnò con opere in natura all’edifi cazione del nuovo complesso conventuale.

La chiesa conventuale, già consacrata al 1490, deriva dall’unione di due edifi ci, la nuova struttura e la preesistente cappella di Santa Maria delle Grazie, da cui la bizzara pianta a L.

All’ultimo trentennio del XV secolo risalgono le terre robbiane, la tavola con l’Assunzione della Madonna e le statue raffiguranti S. Antonio e S. Andrea.

Del XVII secolo è l’arredo del coro (1657), l’acquisizione dell’organo e gli altari lignei della Cappella della Madonna. 

Seicentesco è pure l’altare in arenaria e la balaustra – sempre in arenaria – che delimita l’area presbiteriale e quella del coro.

Al chiostro interno si accede direttamente dalla chiesa attraverso la porta del cielo, mentre un altro chiostro (esterno) è situato di fronte alla facciata dell’edificio

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Please Login to comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  Subscribe  
Notify of