keane
No Comments

prison

Decrease Font Size Increase Font Size Text Size Print This Page

The Civic Museum is housed in the Palazzo Pretorio, which was built along with the underground prison during the first half of the 14th century. Palazzo Pretorio was the residence of the Podestà, the representative of Florentine power in Barga. The Podestà took part in council desicions, but his main role was to administer Law and Order. The Podestà lived and worked on the upper floor and what is now the entrance to the museum was then the main hall where trials were carried out and sentences passed.Those found guilty of crimes were either hung or taken below and imprisoned.

The first room of the prison contains three visiting cubicles where the prisoners could speak with their families and friends .Each cell has a double barred window and double wooden doors reinforced in iron with large bolts. At least two prisoners could be kept in each cell. The prison was also used in the early 1920’s and it is from that period that most of the prisoners scribbles and drawings inside the cells date.Two of the cells were reserved for female prisoners who had to be kept separate from the men.  – more images here

Prisoners Graffiti inside the Barga Prison

“I messaggi dei prigionieri incisi sulle pareti delle carceri del Palazzo Pretorio”; interverrà la dottoressa Orietta Giusfredi curatrice delle ricerche storiche del Museo Civico.

The Civic Museum is housed in the Palazzo Pretorio, which was built along with the underground prison during the first half of the 14th century. Palazzo Pretorio was the residence of the Podestà , the representative of Florentine power in Barga.

The Podestà took part in council decisions, but his main role was to administer Law and Order.

The Podestà lived and worked on the upper floor and what is now the entrance to the museum was then the main hall where trials were carried out and sentences passed.Those found guilty of crimes were either hung or taken below and imprisoned.

Each cell has a double barred window and double wooden doors reinforced in iron with large bolts. At least two prisoners could be kept in each cell. The prison was also used in the early 1920’s and it is from that period that most of the prisoners scribbles and drawings inside the cells date. Two of the cells were reserved for female prisoners who had to be kept separate from the men.

 

 

Recent restoration work inside the prison has revealed another layer of graffiti from a much earlier period. The flaking plaster has been carefully removed in places to finally bring back to the light images with a religious content … images of The Madonna and St. Christopher, the Patron Saint of Barga . Experts are still working on trying to pinpoint a precise date for when the prisoners used the walls as their canvas and diary.

More images from the last time to cells were open to the public in March 2007 can be seen here

The site for the Museo Civico del Territorio di Barga can be seen here

SaveSave

Leave a Reply

Please Login to comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  Subscribe  
Notify of