Announcing publication of the official notice for participation in the twentieth BargaJazz international competition.
In 2007 the guest of honour will be the Canadian trumpeter Kenny Wheeler, one of the most important contemporary trumpet players as well as a major Jazz composer and arranger over the past forty years. Kenny Wheeler, born in Canada in 1930 and resident in England from the age of twenty two, is encouraged by his trombone playing father and studies trumpet, composition and harmony at the Toronto Conservatoire.
Initially influenced by Buck Clayton and Roy Eldridge he rapidly crosses over into bebop, following in the footsteps of Miles Davis and Fats Navarro.
Kenny Wheeler will play together with the BargaJazz Orchestra compositions and arrangements written especially by the participants in the competition, whilst on the 19th of August at the â€˜Teatro dei Differentiâ€™ he will host the Premiere of â€˜Kenny Wheelerâ€™s Little Sweet Suiteâ€™ for 13 elements.
Constantly balancing tradition with the avant-garde, Wheeler is without doubt one of the most important points of reference for the latest generation of trumpet players.
The competition is divided as always into specific sections dedicated respectively to: (A) arranging, (B) original compositions, (C) rising composers [in association with the Siena Jazz], (D) new up and coming ensembles. Sections A, B, and C will take place at the end of August over three evenings in Bargaâ€™s â€˜Teatro dei Differentiâ€™. Section D, dedicated to new up and coming ensembles, will take place in the gardens of the â€˜Istituto Superiore di Istruzioneâ€™ in Barga. In conjunction with this section, the â€˜Luca Floresâ€™ Prize for best rising soloist will be awarded.
As well as the competition itself which this year will take place between the 19th and 25th of August, BargaJazz_Festival_2007 also comprises several events between June and November:
– The by now traditional â€˜Girando alla Tonda/Turn Aroundâ€™ – a musical journey through the Garfagnana and Serchio Valley to discover places of cultural interest and natural beauty, whilst enjoying concerts of the highest quality.
– The Master Classes – this year BargaJazz is hosting two high level specialisation courses: the Kenny Wheeler Workshop, between the 20th and 23rd of August and the Jazz orchestra direction course held by Bruno Tommaso between the 9th and 13th of August.
– Barga IN Jazz. (Jazz Fair), on Sunday 19th of August the historic streets and piazzas of Barga old town will host over ten Jazz ensembles in a spectacular all day event.
– Autumn Live! A series of concerts at the BargaJazz Club between October and November will provide the musical context for the promotion of typical local products.
– EnoJazz: during the week of the competition there will be jam sessions every night and the opportunity for fans to mingle with the musicians.
Full information can be found on the bargajazz festival 2007 site here