An extremely interesting image has just been posted on the Italian Scotland page on Facebook which seems to be showing men who were working on the Matland area of the Inveraray Castle in Scotland during 1961.
Great photograph of Italiani di Barga and surrounding area. These men went to work for the Duke of Argyll in 1961. Anyone know these gentlemen. – Thank you Michael Lemetti.
Inveraray Castle is one of the most grandly conceived and culturally significant designed landscapes in Scotland reflecting over 300 years of landscape intervention and evolution by the Earls and Dukes of Argyll. The parklands, woodland plantations and key buildings within the policies have been orchestrated around the castle on a vast scale taking full advantage of the rugged natural topography and inland sea setting. Guided by the hand of numerous important designers including William and Robert Adam, William Boutcher and Walter Patterson, Robert Mylne and Roger Morris, Inveraray is an archetypal example of the ‘Sublime’ in Scottish landscape. The planned town of Inveraray is an integral and indivisible component of the Inveraray designed landscape. Built largely between 1750 and 1800, it embodies improvement ideals of the Scottish Enlightenment and is among the country’s earliest experiments in town planning.
During the Second World War, the park was used as a headquarters for Combined Operations Training and temporary buildings were erected across the parklands with much woodland felling as a result. Many of the brick bases for these structures remain in the undergrowth. When the 11th Duke inherited in 1949 he began a programme of conservation works at the castle and the planned town between 1958 and 1963 under the direction of Ian Gordon Lindsay. The circa 1850 formal garden layout was also restored during this period.