The Lambretta Club of Lucca every now and again organise an outing for their many members and supporters of the Lambretta scooter.
Ten years ago they rode up the valley from Lucca and arrived at Da Aristos in Barga Vecchia.
They liked it so much that for their tenth anniversary they once more roared into Barga Vecchia to sample the wine and food on offer at Da Aristo’s before once more disappearing in a cloud of blue exhaust to … who know where ?
In 1922, Ferdinando Innocenti of Pescia built a steel-tubing factory in Rome. In 1931, he took the business to Milan where he built a larger factory producing seamless steel tubing and employing about 6,000. The factory was heavily bombed and destroyed during World War II. It is said that, when surveying the ruins, Innocenti saw the future of cheap, private transport and decided to produce a motor scooter, competing on cost and weather protection against the ubiquitous motorcycle.
The name is derived from the word Lambrate, the suburb of Milan named after the river which flows through the area, and where the factory was located. Lambretta was the name of a mythical water-sprite associated with the river which runs adjacent to the former production site.
il Lambretta Club Lucca ha il solo obiettivo di far conoscere il marchio Lambretta e di aggregare con la passione che ci contraddistingue a chi appassionato non è, con la speranza che, tra un buon bicchiere di vino e un piatto di zuppa lucchese, possa assaporare quelle emozioni e quelle sensazione che noi proviamo ogni volta che montiamo in sella alla nostra lambretta.
painter and photographer - started barganews.com, the first on line news site in Tuscany, Italy back in 1996